Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Thoughts, rants, words and fibromyalgia


I honestly think that a large part of getting better is believing that it's possible.

Research and studies are good but it get's to a point where ya' have to ask yourself, "Whose report will I believe? Man or God's?". Yeah. There are alot of the research and studies that indicate that there is no known cause or cure. Heck, my doctor outright told me that I should just get used to this because this is how it will always be.

I am paraphrasing here: "Just take the meds and it will help you feel better. Forget about yoga that could complicate things. Stretching may help but it's deeper than that. Release the notion that food could possibly have something to do with it. Just keep on taking the meds and you'll feel better".

I think that it is easy to get stuck in the miry pit of accepting that it is what it is and that life will always be painful. It's interesting to me that some of us are content with playing the starring role of victim. This clearly becomes obvious even in how we verbally identify with a fibromyalgis diagnosis. "My fibromyalgia is acting up". "I HAVE Fibromyalgia".

Why own what clearly does not belong to us? If God made this body, can't we, through our use of natural law be healed? I am a believer, receiver and witness of the proof that it's possible to recover. However, it seems like impossibility is ingrained in our consciousness at such a deep level that we aren't even aware of it. We use terms to support this hidden belief without even giving thought to what the words really mean.

For example if you search the internet, you'll find a ton of information or tags that are in some way shape or form reflective of "Fibromyalgia Support" or "FM Support Group". I call this type of thinking victom syndrome. We love to sit around and complain about how bad we feel, how horrible it is. But the moment it is suggested that we eliminate or at best limit the foods that contribute to inflammation such as meat protein, caffeine, sugar, white flour and sugar products, we gag at the possibility.

Some of us are simply content with our weekly Fibromyalgia support group meetings. At least there, we are safe to hide and jump on the bandwagon of the complainer next to us. Why be in support of FM?

Why not be in support of recovery, wellness, healing, hope? Words have such power when it comes to taming the mind. I prefer the term "FM wellness or Recovery Support". It does so much more to inspire a feeling of hope and a picture of possibility within the mind. For as we think in our hearts, we ultimately become. It is done to us in accordance with how or what we believe.

Our thoughts thoughts become our words and our words determine our behavior. Words have the ability to act as a hypnotic mantra for who we are and ultimately how we are.

So many, are content with fighting for disability, staying medicated and accepting the mundane-ness of "what is". There is very little regard given to the same energy that can be given to getting well. Let's face it. Lifesyle changes such as exercising when your body hurts or changing your eating to include life force foods such as fruits and vegetables that you never knew existed is hard. Likewise choosing to stay disabled, medicated, in pain and resigned to hopelessness... ain't easy. It's just a matter of which one you will chose.

Life is more than hopeless resignation. However, there is a very fine line here. Perhaps disablity, meds and support groups are needed in order to get clarity and a time out from the daily stressors that contribute to ill health.

I myself, was on meds for a time (lest I forget). And yes, it did serve a purpose. It alleviated the pain just enough for me to even be able to clearly think about what was next. What was I going to do to co-create the healing in my body that I longed for? That I knew to be my birthright? In the midst of it all, there seemed to be moments, however small, of hope in between. Those small moments or glimmers are what ushered me into a discovery of holistic wellness. I had to get sick and tired of my old complaining pain-filled existence before I was to become ready to take action.

We have to want it. No matter what it takes. Yeah it's hard. But so is getting up early in the morning for work when you clearly want to stay in that warm bed. But ya' know what? We do it anyway. Because we know that if we don't work, we don't get paid, and if we don't get paid then we can't take care of the basic necessities of life and pleasure.

I remember my life before. I was bedridden for 6 months, uncertain of my life, struggling to go to work, brain fogged, lethargic, pain-filled, depressed, overweight. I fast forward to the life that I live now. What a difference! Today, (6 years later) I am a totally different woman.With each day, I am better, stronger, slimmer, wiser, kinder to myself, energetic, pain free, optimistic, joyful and hopeful.

I get clients who complain about the pain and how miserable it is. But then when asked if they are following the steps to wellness, they stutter, make excuses or sometimes out right say that they can't do it or don't have the time to pursue healthier choices.


If we pushed ourselves holistically as much as we make excuses and willingly hand over our power to the possibility of impossibility, what a transformation of healing that would be. For nothing can come to us unless we are willing to have it come through us. Ok. Ok. I'll admit. It's not easy. It's a heck of a process at times. It seems to involve a lot more energy than you have to give but... what if, just what if you exerted half of that energy towards taking the necessary steps (emotionally, physically and spiritually) to get better one day at a time?

I wonder what life would look like next week, next month or maybe even a year from now? Perhaps you'll look up six years from now like me. Would you even recognize your new self?

Just a thought for anyone who dares to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment